CUI documents must be reviewed according to which procedures before destruction quizlet
1. This Notice provides guidance for destroying (via single and multi-step methods) Controlled
Unclassified Information in paper form.
2. This Notice rescinds CUI otice 2017-02 Controlled Unclassified Information and Multi-Step
What is CUI destruction?
This Notice provides guidance for destroying (via single and multi-step methods) Controlled Unclassified Information in paper form. … The CUI regulation requires that agencies destroy CUI “in a manner that makes it unreadable, indecipherable, and irrecoverable,” (32 CFR 2002.
Download PDF: Here
3. The Director of the Information Security Oversight Office (ISOO), exercises Executive Agent
(EA) responsibilities for the CUI Program. Title 32 CFR Part 2002 Controlled nclassified
Information (September 14 2016) establishes CUI Program requirements for designating,
safeguarding, disseminating marking decontrol ling, and disposing of CUI.
4. The CUI regulation requires that agencies destroy CUI “in a manner that makes it unreadable,
indecipherable, and irrecoverable,” (32 CFR 2002.14(f)(2)). It also prescribes National Institute
of Standards and Technology (NIST) Special Publication (SP) 800-88, Revision l: Guidelines
for Media Sanitization (December 2014) (NIST SP 800-88, rev 1) destruction methods, or any
destruction method approved for Classified National Security Information (32 CFR 2001.47),
unless the CUI category’s authority mandates other destruction methods (CUI Specified
categories). Agencies must also use any destruction method specifically required by law,
regulation, or Government-wide policy for CUI Specified categories.
5. This Notice clarifies certain aspects of the requirements for destroying paper CUL NIST SP 800-
88, rev l, describes authorized methods for destroying other media types that contain CUI.
Single-step paper destruction standard
6. For the single-step paper destruction method agencies must:
a. Use cross-cut shredders that produce 1 mm x 5 mm (0.04 in. x 0.2 in.) particles (or smaller);
b. Pulverize/disintegrate paper using disintegrator devices equipped with a 3/32 in. (2.4 mm)
(NIST SP 800-88, rev 1, Table A-1: Hard Copy Storage Sanitization)
7. The ational Security Agency SA) maintains an Evaluated Products List (EPL) of equipment
it authorizes to destroy hard copy (paper) Classified ational Security Information. This
equipment also meets CUI single-step paper destruction standards. The most updated SA EPL
for “Paper Shredders can be found at: